Thursday, July 7, 2011

Puppets are Creepy

Madcap Logo A confession...  I've always found puppets to be a bit creepy.  Others are bothered, some so much as frightened by and phobic of clowns.  Not me... it is puppets that give me the heebie-jeebies.  I'm not gravely or even remotely afraid of them.  I just find them very disturbing visually, and I often find the shows themselves quite boring.  Yet, oh the things I do for my children.  Uh-huh, you guessed it!  We went to a puppet show.

Jack and the Gentle GiantAs part of the library's summer programming, Madcap Puppets performed Jack and the Gentle Giant.  In the program, Jack, his beanstalk, and his two sons encounter three giants. In doing so, the audience is taken on quite the journey. An Iriquois legend, a Czech folktalk, and a Brothers Grimm Story from Germany to be exact.

Believe it or not, the program was not only tolerable but at times quite entertaining.  There was a mix of acting, puppetry, audience participation, and a decent amount of humor.  For the most part, my kiddos were a captive audience.  That's impressive!  I even paid attention while holding to my belief that puppets are creepy.  Check out the pic I snagged of the larger than life giant head that poked up from behind the backdrop.... ewww!







No comments: