Sunday, October 2, 2011

Feelin' Like Fall

In my life this week…
  • I've enjoyed the cooler fall weather...  cozy sweaters, flannel p.j. pants, chicken noodle soup, and snuggling under warm blankies.
  • My kiddos have said some super cute things and given me many laughs, but oh my... we've had and probably need to have some more character lessons.  Yikes!  After last weekend away under Dr. Karyn Purvis' fine tutelage, I should have expected to come home and have my kids really test and try my patience, right?!  I've had one child struggling with authority and snapping at any adult who attempts correction.  Another one has a case of the gimmes and is lacking in gratitude.  Still another isn't listening and continues to exercise artistic abilities in inappropriate places - namely the living room wall and the mattress of Mommy and Daddy's bed.  One such child has lost marker privileges.
  • I met with the Light Will Rise team.  There are lots of great things on the horizon.  A guys event, gals event, an online bookstudy, and a Spring Mom's Retreat.  We are also working hard to secure sponsors for the children at the Children's HopeChest Kebron Carepoint.
In our homeschool this week…
  • We enjoyed a field trip to Shaker Village and took a ride on the Dixie Belle Riverboat.
  • After missing our CHIL Activity Day last week, we were all happy to be back at co-op.
  • Friday, we met with our friends for the culmination of our Galloping the Globe study of South Korea.
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
  • I love field trips!!!  The kids love being outside and seeing new things.  It's great to learn in different surroundings, from primary sources, and using all your senses.... especially when the experience can be shared with good friends. 
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
  • Monday, Rachel will begin working with a new speech therapist and will be moving up to the next level class in gymnastics.
  • Wednesday, we will meet with our FIAR co-op.
  • Thursday, we have our regular CHIL classes and will head to our Adoption Support Group at church.
  • Friday, the boys have karate class, and then, we'll have an early birthday party for Caleb with the Spaulding fam.
  • Jon is on call this weekend, so we'll relax and stick close to home.
My favorite thing this week was…
  • the referral of precious lil' guy and confirmed travel dates for the Pinkston family. I'm rejoicing and celebrating with this wonderful couple and overjoyed that their sweet boy will be home before Thanksgiving.
Things I’m working on…
  • I've got some upcoming reviews, so I'm reading a lot. 
  • I'm starting a new phonics program with Jeremiah tomorrow... curious to see how it works out for him.  Hoping for great success!
  • Orphan Sunday is quickly approaching, so I'm working the church contacts this week.  If you aren't familiar with this international event, please visit the websiteI'd love to help you and your church get involved! 
I’m reading…
  • Raising Real Men by Hal & Melanie Young
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child by Clay & Sally Clarkson
I’m grateful for…
  • America World - our incredible adoption agency.  Just this week, a new Haiti program has been opened and pilot families are now being accepted. 
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
  • Caleb was very excited to mail his very first handwritten letter this week.  The recipient?  His almost 1 year old cousin, Malachi.  I'm sure lil' man will enjoy shredding, crumpling, or drooling on it :-)  That's beside the point.  Caleb was soooo proud of himself, and Momma made him work hard too.  He also had to address the envelope.

No comments: