Saturday, December 18, 2010

Stellar Performance

Same song...  Second verse... Much, MUCH WORSE!!!!!

Where, oh where, have the dance shoes gone?
Oh where, oh where, can they be?
Lost in a Princess Tiana backpack
I'm suffering from insanity!!!!

Our morning started off well enough.  Jon headed to church to assist with God's Pantry, and I finished some last minute wrapping for the church Christmas party later that evening.  I fed the kiddos a really early lunch....  bananas and hotdogs at 10:30 a.m. YUM! (Really ICK!) I set out fixing Rachel's hair and dressing her in pretty suntan tights.  I gathered the costumes, and all was running smoothly until I discovered that Rachel's dance shoes were NOWHERE to be found.  So... ransack the house TAKE 2 commenced.  I had all the kids in on searching for the purple Princess Tiana backpack.

When our searches came up empty, I called Jon in a frantic, crazy-woman panic!  He assured me that it would be ok, and I half-screamed/half-cried, "It's not ok!  I feel like I'm losing my mind!"  Somehow, he convinced me to head on to Shelbyville.  While driving, one of my psychotic phone messages was returned, and I learned that we had indeed left the royal backpack and the treasured shoes in the dressing room.  Sheewwww...  this Momma was so stressed out, but thankfully, some immediate relief helped.

I got Miss Rachel all dolled up, watched her get hosed in sparkling body glitter, and have her rear end sprayed with hair spray to remedy the static cling.  Hmmm... the one thing this proved, I am not now nor ever will I be cut out to be a pageant Momma.  Before I could dwell on those thoughts long, Kacey positioned the girls in lines.  I gave Rachel a hug and high fives and headed out the door.  Rachel called out, "I love you Mommy!" Nervously, I headed to sit with Jon.

When Rachel took the stage, she looked a little unsure.  I then saw her start scanning the audience.  An immediate smile lit up her face when she spotted Daddy then positioned on the front row to capture the dance on film.  As the music started, she locked eyes on Kacey and did exactly what she was supposed to do.  It was such a joy to watch her.

During intermission, I went to change her, and all she could say was, "Cool Mommy!  So cool!"  Once she was in her white and gold tap costume and returned to her spot in line, it was time to make my exit.  There were 3 criers in the room as I left, but I poked my head in for one last check and Rachel was grinning ear to ear.  I was sure she'd turn on the charm in her tap routine.

The funniest thing happened before the tap music started.  A ring-leader on the back row was enamored with the sound of her tap shoes on the floor.  She began to jump and at 3 and 4 years old "monkey see, monkey do!"  Several girls began jumping as well.  Not to be left out, Rachel joined keeping a perfect steady beat with her jumps.  Somehow, Kacey got their attention, the music began, and the girls danced their sweet little routine.


Needless to say, Mommy, Daddy, Jeremiah, Caleb, Mamaw, Papaw, Uncle Matthew, Aunt Megan, baby Malach, Mark, and Jane were all so very proud of Rachel and her stellar performance.  Rachel received a trophy cut-out of herself and a flower, and then we headed to Cracker Barrel with the fam to celebrate her job well done!

No comments: