Sunday, November 7, 2010

ORPHAN SUNDAY


I had the opportunity to worship at Southland Christian Church this morning.  The music was wonderful, the baptisms joyous, and the message of atonement and redemption timely.  Amidst all this combined with the fact that my brother-in-law was sure to have us seated on the very front row, I must admit I still had a hard time focusing.  I found myself anxious.  Being Orphan Sunday, I found myself praying fervently.  I prayed that God would move mightily in the hearts of His people, that the church would arise, and answer the cry of the orphans. 

Following the service, I headed to the atrium to don my wild lime green shirt and join with fellow adoption support group members and friends.  From 1-4 p.m. an adoption/orphan care event was taking place.  Couples came to learn more about foster care, domestic adoption, and international adoption.  For some in attendance, they were simply daring to broach the subject of adoption, and for others their mind was made up and their plan of attack already set in motion.  It was a beautiful sight to see so many gathered together with like minds and purpose.  Registrations exceeded what we had anticipated, and it was evident that God really showed up in a big way.  It was an ever present reminder that God really is capable of doing more than we could ever ask or imagine. 

Jon rolled in after preaching at GCC just in time to eat.  From the table, we headed to speak on an Adoptive Parents Panel.  There was some great Q&A and dialogue.  I only wish we had more time.  However, Jon and I were able to speak to several couples individually and share more specifically about our adoption with Ethiopia or our experience with our agency.  Speaking of, America World also had a strong presence as there was an informational table available and two of our KY Associates led a break-out session on International Adoption.  While the Bowman's handled those duties, Jon hung out at the AWAA table, and I played with some cutie pies in the childcare room.

The afternoon was a buzz of activity complimented by lime green clad ladies and gentlemen.  I can't say enough good things about this support group.  Even though we aren't able to worship as frequently as we'd like with the Southland family and aren't members there, we have always been made to feel 100% a part of this group.  The support was tremendous to us on the receiving end, and it is phenomenal to be on the giving end.  I was truly touched by my sweet husband.  In his gentle response and words of encouragement, he ministered to a very broken woman in the wake of a failed adoption.  I believe his tenderness was balm for her wounds.  I was so very proud to be Jon's wife in that moment.  I know others in the group had shared experiences.  I believe we will see some new faces at our next support group meeting!

Orphan Sunday is a great day to turn our focus, prayers, hearts, and actions towards the fatherless.  However, with 147 million orphans, we need ORPHAN EVERYDAY until they all have homes.  My prayer is the same as it was before the adoption event.  God move mightily in the hearts of Your people, may Your church arise and answer the cry of the orphans.
Why Love Orphans? from Christian Alliance for Orphans on Vimeo.

No comments: