Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Step Back in Time

Oh my... we chose one very hot, steamy day to travel back in time.  With friends Melissa and McKenzie joining us, we traveled to Harrodsburg to visit Old Fort Harrod.  Growing up just a couple counties away, this spot was a frequent field trip when I was younger.  Then, when I taught in the public schools, I took my students here as well.  This was a first time trip for Jeremiah and Rachel, and Caleb was just a toddler the last time he came.

The kids had a great time learning about life long ago and taking in the sites of the fort.  They played with primitive toys, petted the sheep, checked out Native American lodging, saw the natural spring, apprenticed at the blacksmith's, saw lye soap, brooms, and rag dolls being crafted, went to the schoolhouse, and stopped in some cabins.  Then, off to visit the museum.

It amazes me how Caleb oftentimes can't remember one thing I say or ask him to do, but he could literally rattle off the museum guides whole spill on Abraham Lincoln word-for-word.  Crazy, huh?  I guess selective hearing is something that plagues all children from time to time, but I'm so impressed by all they absorb and take in from our outings and jaunts about the state.  That's what it is all about... making memories and learning together.  I'm looking forward to what the rest of the summer holds!


Playing the Wii of time gone by :-)
Forget the hard stuff... Rachel knows how to get the ball in the hole!
Hungry anyone?
I couldn't help but think how so much of this visit wasn't so foreign to my Ethiopian cuties.
Friends
Caleb - the apprentice.
Jeremiah getting things done for the blacksmith.
Checking out the lodging at McGinty's Ordinary.
Lye soap
Broom making
Summer School
The kiddos holding down the fort.
The coolest tree ever!

No comments: