Saturday, April 2, 2011

Breakfast with Amanda B.

In my first year of homeschooling, it would have been easy to purchase and blindly follow a boxed set, comprehensive curriculum.  However, thankfully, from my classroom experience, I was already aware that a one-size-fits-all approach to education is sorely mistaken.  As a mom, I knew my three littles were individuals each with their own unique personalities, learning styles, strengths, and weaknesses.  The math and phonics definitely don't look the same at my house, yet, there is one study we are able to do successfully as a family - Download N Go's.  Each one appeals to varied learning styles and multiple intelligences.  It truly is a smorgasbord to and from which all students can contribute and digest.
I was first introduced to DNG's after attending several Amanda Bennett sessions at the CHEK conference in Louisville last June.  I was so very impressed with her passion and vision.  Immediately upon returning home, I spent time on her website, purchased products, followed her blog, FB, etc. - NO, I'm not some weirdo, creepy stalker or anything.  I just became a harmless, innocent fan :-)  Well, it paid off!  When it was announced that a team was forming to review DNG's and blog about them, I was an eager volunteer.  It has been an absolute pleasure and blessing for our family to work our way through many titles in the DNG series.  We have studied topics that I'm confident I wouldn't have approached on my own, and all of us have gained such a wealth of knowledge.

While at the homeschool convention this past weekend, I was afforded the opportunity to share breakfast with Amanda.  I can assure you she is just as genuine, honest, and personable as you would imagine her to be after hearing her share her heart and passion in her sessions.  It was so relaxed and effortless to carry on conversation, and I appreciate the fact that she took time out of her busy schedule to spend time with a reviewer.  What an encouragement to me along this homeschool journey!!!!  Thanks Amanda :-)

Also, I was able to finally meet in person our great DNG Review Team leader, Marcy.  She does a phenomenal job keeping us organized, aware of pertinent information, and mindful of deadlines.  All the while, she is dealing with our technology issues, goof-ups, etc.  What a patient woman!  Last but not least, I was introduced to a fellow reviewer, Heather and her sweet daughter. 

Usually - I'm not much of a breakfast eater, but it was a super start to my last day at the convention.  Thanks ladies!  I appreciate your talents and your hearts for children.  God Bless each of you!

No comments: