Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal - Back in the Saddle Again!


In my life this week…
  • I attended a Girls Night Out/Pre-Teen Adoption Shower with my great adoption support group.  So happy for Chris, Jan, & B - I love how God grows families!!!
  • Attended our new homeschool co-op's first activity day.  Kids loved their classes, and I'm even teaching again.  Not too rusty after leaving the classroom, but I do like this setting a lot better!
  • Enjoyed Ethiopian Cuisine at Queen of Sheba Saturday night.  It was great to fellowship with other Ethiopia Adoptive families at home with their kiddos and in process.  Light Will Rise is truly building a strong community and support system.  Praying we continue to grow!
  • We were blessed by a tremendous sermon this morning in church.  Very moving and sparked some great convos with the hubby this afternoon.  I love when God stirs both our hearts to move at the same time.  Praying for God's leading in some upcoming endeavors.
In our homeschool this week…
  • We are officially back at it!  Monday was glorious.  We worked hard, got lots accomplished, and everyone was excited.  On Tuesday, Math brought tears for one stubborn little boy, and on Friday for the other.  Hmmm... I'm going to have to re-think a few things.  That's part of it!  Turn, twist, and try the puzzle piece until you lock in for a perfect fit.
  • We started with Bible, Math, Handwriting, Phonics, and Map Skills this week.
  • My Father's Dragon was a huge hit as our read-aloud this week. 
  • The kiddos LOVED their 1st day of CHIL.  I think our new co-op was a great decision!
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
  • Whether a few days in, a week in, months, or even mid-year, don't be afraid to change things.  Tweak here and there along the way.  I have to remind myself that it IS POSSIBLE to be both flexible and have high expectations.
I am inspired by…
  • by those who are the "hands and feet" of Christ serving those in need both locally and globally.   
Places we're going and people we're seeing...
  • Thursday, we are back at CHIL.  As soon as we are done, we are heading to see my family.  My great aunt and cousin are visiting from Florida.  We only see them once a year, so this is always a special time.  Then, the kiddos are spending the night with Mamaw and Papaw because I'm roadtripping.  I'm sooo excited to be attending/blogging the Women of Faith event this weekend.  I'm not as chipper about how early in the morning I will be hitting the road Friday, but Melissa will keep me awake on the drive :-)
My favorite thing this week was…
  • This week had a lot of "highs" - some really great stuff!  Although, it was really nice to have the kids all take a great Sunday afternoon nap.  Then, they were content for some quality cuddle time in Mom's bed watching a few cartoons.  Pretty sweet!  
Things I’m working on…
  • Lesson planning... still mapping some things out.
  • Mental plans for all that needs prepared/packed for the weekend.
  • The whole Light Will Rise team has September 11th on our minds.  Lots of details still being ironed out and preparations to be made, but we are beyond thrilled to celebrate Ethiopian New Year and launching our Children's Hope Chest Global Partnership.
I’m reading…
  • How to Have a H.E.A.R.T For Your Kids (Review Coming Soon!)
  • The Bible  (I'm a bit behind in my 90 Days Challenge.  Gotta buckle down and catch up!)
I’m praying for…
  • Those who face hardships I can't even begin to fathom... even death due to drought and famine in Africa.  I pray for the precious people of Ethiopia, Kenya, and Somalia.  They aren't statistics!  They have names, families, loved ones, and a God who LOVES them.  I pray that in tangible ways those of us more fortunate can provide for their needs. 

No comments: